Apply for Grants
The Mayor’s Christmas Tree Fund provides a funding source for charitable institutions who serve children in need in the Olathe community.
Awards are for one year only. Eligible charitable institutions serving the Olathe community may apply for grant awards annually. Grant awards will be announced no later than March 31, in the year following each campaign.
The grant application submission deadline is midnight on Wednesday, August 12, 2020. Applications must be completed at this site.
Grant requests will be evaluated primarily on basic needs provided to Olathe children. Basic needs are defined as:
- medical/dental services
- school supplies and
- program needs for physical, mental, and behavioral health, wellness, and prevention.
The Mayor’s Christmas Tree Fund Board reserves the right to exercise discretion in awarding grant funds. Applications that do not explicitly demonstrate a direct benefit to Olathe children’s basic needs may be declined in whole or in part.
- verify their tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code by providing a copy of their organization’s IRS determination letter. Applicants must demonstrate financial need and explain how funds requested will be used.
- provide a budget for the identified need, including all opportunities to access additional sources of funding to meet their goals.
- not supplant existing funding for the project that this grant would support.
- indicate how they will measure their success in reaching stated goals, and if 100% of the requested funding is not achievable, identify an alternate plan to ensure that funds awarded will be used to meet as many of the stated goals as possible.
Applicants previously awarded grants from the Mayor’s Christmas Tree Fund must complete the Grant Review section of the grant application for the prior year, documenting how grant funds have been used. This section must be completed for applicants to be eligible to apply for a new Mayor’s Christmas Tree Fund grant. Grant funds may not be used for the following:
- Salaries or portions thereof.
- Ongoing general operating expenses or existing deficits.
- Capital, endowment, or specific fundraising campaigns.
- Fundraising materials or events.
- Routine continuing education, such as licensure, accreditation, etc.
- Travel not directly related to the project.
- Political purposes.
- Support of organizations that practice discrimination.